Central New York SPCA
The Veterinary Technician at the Central New York SPCA is responsible for a broad range of medical and administrative tasks in the shelter. The Veterinary Technician delivers compassionate nursing care and has a broad knowledge of animal science, medicine, and husbandry, including a basic knowledge of pharmacology and proficient mathematical skills.
- Associate’s Degree in Veterinary Technology
- Licensed Veterinary Technician from the New York State Education Department
- This is a full-time position 39-40 hours per week. Shifts may vary, as we are open seven (7) days a week. Salary will be based on experience. Occasional overtime.
Nursing Care (40%)
- Possess in depth knowledge and understanding of veterinary medical concepts
- Provide compassionate and quality patient care at all times
- Monitors stability of all animals undergoing anesthesia/surgery
- Intubates sedated surgical animals, premedicates, induces and maintain anesthesia for surgeries under the direction of the veterinarian.
- Assists the veterinarian with any emergencies that arise during surgery
- Prints out “treatment to do daily” list and supervises the medication of shelter animals
- Proficient in various technical nursing skills, including, but not limited to, venipuncture, intubation, anesthesia monitoring.
- Possess critical thinking and multi-tasking skills
- Able to prioritize and re-prioritize based on vet center and animal needs
- Proficient in animal handling and restraint for various medical procedures
- Treat animals with care
- Document and communicate any animal concerns or observed changes to Veterinarian
- Feed and medicate animals following veterinarian instructions
- Maintain complete, accurate and up-to-date animal health records, and controlled substance records.
- Assist in establishing a procedure for inventory control in vet center.
- Maintain inventory, and orders and stocks supplies and equipment for the vet center
- Sterilizes surgical instruments and equipment as mandated by standard medical guidelines
- Lift an animal up to 40 pounds
Professionalism, Communication, and Performance (40%)
- Represent the Central New York SPCA in a professional and courteous manner at all times
- Collaborate professionally with other CNYSPCA Department Heads, staff and outside agencies
- Support organization and departmental policies and protocols
- Ensure and maintain high quality standard of care, work ethic and performance
- Work independently without supervision and as a part of a team
- Work efficiently and calmly under challenging conditions
- Attend staff meetings and any training seminars.
Housekeeping & Maintenance (20%)
- Assist in cleaning and disinfecting all parts of the vet center while utilizing appropriate PPE
- Follow all cleaning protocols
- Follow all protocols put forth by Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Take inventory and stock supplies as needed
- Make certain entire vet center including surgery room, kennels are kept extremely clean through the day
Please email resume with cover letter to Human Resources at HR@cnyspca.org
To apply for this job email your details to HR@cnyspca.org