Website Central New York SPCA
POSITION TITLE: KENNEL ASSISTANT REPORTS TO: Shelter Manager
DEPARTMENT: Administration FLSA: Non-Exempt
Provide professional animal care services and care for shelter animals. Kennel Assistants most often work with dogs and cats, but occasionally will find themselves in contact with other domestic animals to care for.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Walks through the kennel areas checking each animal for any abnormal activity such as vomiting, diarrhea, or blood in the cage or run. Reports all abnormal activity to supervisor and veterinary staff, complete necessary form for the veterinary staff (i.e., eating, drinking, fecal and urine production).
- Feeds and waters animals according to schedules.
- Cleans and disinfects cages, runs and yards as needed using hoses and spray bottles of disinfectant. Uses a squeegee to remove excess water.
- Keeps wings, halls, bathrooms, front office, vet center and visiting rooms clean.
- Cleans litter boxes and sanitize cages.
- Cleans and disinfects all food and water bowls.
- Picks up soiled bedding and moves it to laundry area.
- Places clean bedding in run with animals.
- Operates washer and dryer to clean kennel bedding.
- Walks dogs.
- Maintains equipment.
- Provides friendly interaction with customers and animals. Ensures customer satisfaction.
- Maintains cleanliness of assigned kennel or cat area.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Ability to ensure the practice of animal health/welfare according to policies and procedures of the Central New York SPCA.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with staff, volunteers and the general public.
- Good communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of animal breeds and characteristics.
- Basic knowledge of animal health, nutrition and general care for an animal.
The employee frequently is to:
- Stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Lift and/or move up to 25-50 pounds
The employee is occasionally required to:
The employee must regularly:
- Lift and/or move up to 10-50 pounds
- Stand, walk, bend, reach with hand and arms over head, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, grasp with hands
The employee is continuously exposed to:
- All animals of the animal shelter, waste
- Cleaning Chemicals
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
I have read and understand my job description and my job expectations as a Kennel Assistant during my employment at the Central New York SPCA.
Please submit resume to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org