Bissell’s Empty the Shelters Event 09.16.17
Starting at 10:00am and running extended hours until 6:00pm
We have partnered with Bissell to Empty the Shelters in New York and we are the only shelter in Syracuse. On this day, Bissell will be paying the adoption fee for any available cat or dog at the CNYSPCA, which means FREE adoptions to the public.
What do you need to get a free furry family member?
- Complete the application for pre-approval either by stopping in or print out the PDF version here and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Empty the Shelters”. The application process is still standard, so if you rent then we will still need to contact your landlord for approval but we ask that everyone try to submit early. Do NOT submit the electronic application on our website for this event.
- You will NOT be able to reserve an animal even with a pre-approved application and must stop in to pick one out on the day of the event. If you would like to be guaranteed an animal then you must pick it up prior to the event and pay full price yourself.
- We are open extended hours, HOWEVER, this will be a controlled admission day to the shelter as we anticipate a huge event. This means only 10 adopting families will be allowed into the CNYSPCA at one time to avoid congestion. Please dress appropriately for the weather on that day as you may spend time waiting outside. This controlled admission will reduce the stress on the animals as well as staff processing adoptions.
- Ensure all proper paperwork is submitted with the application or bring with you, we will need proof of rabies vaccination for each animal in the household.
- If you intend to adopt a dog and you already have a dog, please bring your dog with you but allow him/her to remain outside as we will introduce the two dogs outside when ready.
- Bring all human members of the family that reside in the house your new furry family member will live, if your human family will reside with them more than 50% of the time. This is to ensure that the new dog or cat gets along with each human member of the household.
- Be prepared at home for your new furry family. You should have food, bowls, leash and collar for dogs and litter pans for cats. Perhaps also consider having a bed for your new pet or a crate for a dog, we encourage the use of crates for any new dog coming into a home. This is encouraged for when you are not home to supervise the new pet, especially if you have other pets in the home already. A crate keeps your belongings, other animals, and your new pet safe when you cannot supervise them so they can become adjusted to their new home.
- Small animals are free as well.
- If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call us here at the CNYSPCA and speak with an adoption counselor at (315)454-4479. If you would like to see a list of other shelters across New York that are participating then please visit www.bissellpetfoundation.org/ets
- You still get everything included in a standard adoption listed here
**Dog license fees NOT included and must be paid by the adopter to the town in which you reside. These fees range from $5-$20 depending on jurisdiction.